Sunday 13 March 2011

Grindleford Gallop and things achilles

So 5 weeks today till the marathon.
Have to say if it wasn't for my achilles I would be in quiet good nick - as it is I am a bit slower and hobble a lot!
So this week was semi easy. After Silverstone on Sunday - which I have to say felt harder than Wokingham - it was rest day Monday, swiftly followed by physio assessment on Tuesday. Diagnosis is tendonitis so now signed up for a series of treatments to hold it together. No discussion of not running - more about how to help it through. It deal feel improved after the treatment so a couple of easy 4 milers to check it out prior to the weekend.
So to Grindleford Gallop - a small village in the Derbyshire peaks, where the run is organised to support the local primary school. Introduced to it by a couple guys from work who entered it last year as well. The weather was very kind with low winds and sunshine over some great views of the countryside and Chatsworth House. I can clearly see why it is called the Peak District! Course starts in a valley then climbs up and down, and up and down and then up and down again - with the ups getting progressively longer and steeper, the last at mile 16 being the longest by some way. I always saw this as a training run so the plan was always to "fast" walk the ups and then run the flats and downs - which seemed to work. The other guys were races for a time so they took off after the first 5 and suited me fine as I occasionally stretch.
Have to say it was a really well organised event and  the people were all really friendly. Ran parts with a local and then a tri-athlete from Sheffield. A beautiful part of the country I have never seen before - so really glad I did it - and great time on my feet. There four hour + drive back wasn't so great but hey..... all good overall.
So now this week in for two physio sessions either side of a trip to Paris and then an 18 miler for Sunday. Training plan has this 18 then the following week a 21 and then two weeks of tapering into London (with 15 and a 12 respectively).


No comments:

Post a Comment