Monday 22 February 2010

Wokingham Half Marathon

So the Wokingham Half Marathon was a test of many things with lots of lessons learnt, including:
• Not to set off too fast – or you die on your ass at the end
• Don’t try and drink from a cup at a water station – would have been better to throw it over my head for the water that actually got into my mouth!
• Walking to take on fluid is probably a sensible thing :o)
• If you test enough of them you might just find some concentrated glucose gel that actually tastes OK!
• Running with others can be distracting – it was the first time that I have run with anyone…..
• Be humble: as I was passed by younger people, older people, skinny people, chunky people, fat people
• And always, always – outpace the pensioner in the last ten yards to claim a personal victory!

So race started off in the freezing rain - given I got soaked to the skin just walking down to the race start….. but then we were off and the sun came out.
As someone said “good course it’s all flat” I now know that obviously they hadn’t run the course before! Not too many inclines except in the last 3 miles when everything seemed to be on an upward gradient to various proportions (from painfull to oh my!).

Best thing of all was all the family at the end to say well done……

No comments:

Post a Comment