Sunday 6 December 2009

From couch potato to deranged vegetable

Here's my story....
Having given up a gym membership as I never went and not exercised for years, I reached a point when I needed to do something..
So about 2 years ago I brought the best Nike+ trainers with the ipod connections and I was set. And I didn't run a step, there was always a reason not to do it - a young family, some work thing to do... and time passed.

Until one day, Sunday 9th August this year in fact, started running. My single ambition was to improve my well being. So I started a program called 'couch potato to 5k'. It was planned to take 9 weeks. Day one of was hard (and I'm not joking) but it comprised 'running' for 1 minute, then walking for 90 seconds which was then repeated 6 times. So I managed actually 6 minutes of 'running'. But I completed it, running for all the allotted time.

And so I had begun, three times a week. Each day was difficult but I just made sure I ran for the full time (always very slowly) but always running for the committed time. So fast forward 22nd November having completed 39 runs, taken 24.47 hours, 205 kilometers or 127.38 miles I got confirmed a place in the Amdocs NSPCC team (due to an injury to one of the original team).

I now have a 22 week training plan (just finished week 2) and by the time it comes to marathon day I will have covered 568 miles and spent a large number of early morning or late nights to be ready. My ambition is simply to finish and in doing so raise as much money as I possible can for NSPCC.

So here is how to sponsor
http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/giving/ search for David Hughes and click through on the David?s Implosive Idea
You can follow how the training is going on my blog: http://implosiveideas.blogspot.com/ or www.Facebook.com : search for David Hughes or www.Twitter.com search for dchisland

No comments:

Post a Comment